In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 146
Online now 129 Record: 7264 (3/12/2012)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
First of all, the Outback Bowl was an EPIC game and all of the Michigan fans I encountered were classy. Thank you Michigan and Michigan fans!
Secondly, after my many conversations with one of your members, Moon, I have decided to take a poll here to see if most Michigan fans agree with his views. Please take the time to answer the following questions:
1. Moon claims that Clowney's hit on Vincent Smith was "just a nice hit and fumble recovery. happens every week. nothing special". Do you guys agree that this was a "run-of-the-mill" "dime-a-dozen" type of football play? Or was it indeed a special play?
2. Do you expect to go undefeated and win the national championship every year regardless of actual likelihood of doing so? If you do not win the NC, are you completely heartbroken? Also, do you believe that a fan expecting to do this every year will actually make your team better and make your fanbase better than other fanbases?
3. Do you think that Bama is far and away the best team in the SEC and everyone else is average?
4. Do you think that the sports-viewing nation, as a whole, only cares about teams who have won national championships in the past?
5. Do you believe that when one fan has an opinion that you don't like that that opinion is then the opinion of the entire collective fanbase as a whole? Do you then choose to hate this entire fanbase and believe that all members of this fanbase have one collective conscience?
6. Do you believe that people who did not attend the University of Michigan are "part of the Michigan family"? Do you think that someone who goes to Wal-Mart and buys a Bama hat has the right to talk trash to someone who graduated from the University of South Carolina because "Bama has rings"?
7. Do you believe that after the Outback Bowl, the entire South Carolina fanbase now thinks that they are a perennial power and is ready to "crown themselves champions"?
Thank you for taking your time to answer my survey. I hope that my results will vindicate myself and show that Moon's opinions are not that of the majority of this fanbase. Thank you again.
Im pretty sure i dont agree with any. I want to reply but i dont have time right this second....ill be back
1. Clowney's hit was timely, and that is what made it great. But as a play, he was completely missed...it was an OL failure more than anything. I was most amazed how he palmed the ball to get the fumble, frankly. Still, Clowney was the best player on the field...I think Lewan mostly negated him during the day though.
2. This year, most of us predicted a 9-3 or 8-4 season.
3. I think that Bama is better than most of the SEC, yeah. I think it is close enough that good teams can knock them off if they have even a slightly bad day like Texas A&M did. But like last year, if you give Saban a month to prepare, he would beat almost every team in the SEC convincingly. At least, this year.
4. I think viewers care about their own teams, for the most part. I bet the ratings for this BCS game was not huge, but solid, even with ND and Bama in it.
5. We ignore trolls for the most part.
6. There are many people here that never went to Michigan.
7. I think South Carolina fans, like many fans, think that they beat a storied program they are now among the elite. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I think Spurrier has done a brilliant job there, but win a conference title first, and then we can talk. This isn't a slight against SC...just a fact that until you are winning BCS bowl games, you are not really elite. True for Michigan true, frankly.
Cock Kool Aid also said that hit was Clowney's heisman moment for next season.
"Those Who Stay...Will be Champions"
1)I think it was a great play, made better by the timing(right after a blatant miss call, and pivotal to the outcome of the game).
2)I expect to go undefeated every year. Sucks whenever we lose. All teams have fanatics
3) I think all this SEC hype should be transitioned to BAMA Hyoe. They are and have been the Shiz for the last few years. No other SEC team, outside of maybe LSU a year ago can stake that claim! You move Bama to the ACC and all of a suddenthe ACC is the best in the land.
4)No...but for the part-time fan. They depend on what ESPN likes so if they show every Yankee-Red Sox game, the casual fan thinks these two teams are the best, when they haven't been for awhile.
5)Stupid question...every fanbase has their loons.
6)I embrace all fans of my University. When I travel abroad and see the Block M I don't stop and ask if they graduated. I give them a "Go Blue" and for that moment of my day, I'm happy Michigan is being represented!
7) Every team that won a bowl game should look to do great things the following year. Gamecocks are no exception. Great defense.
This post was edited by RicoX19 15 months ago
I said that the media is hyping him as a Heisman contender and that that play is his signature play up to this point... if he, by some combination of media hype and beastly DE play, does somehow manage to win the Heisman, then that play will be looked back on as a "Heisman moment" as it blew up immediately, went viral, was replayed on Sportscenter for days, had Sports Illustrated articles written about it, and basically took Clowney from great player to household name and catapulted him into the national conscience... IMO.
1. Great hit. Great play. But it was not devastating or something special. Maybe if he palmed the ball and took it to the house or something. But a big hit and a forced fumble happens all the time. What did you expect to happen against a guy who is 5'6" 170 lbs?
2. I fully expect Michigan to go undefeated and win the Natty every year....otherwise why even play/watch/care about the game?
3. Other teams must play their best game and Bama has to play an off game for them to win. 3 of last 4 National Championships are Bama's....that makes them the Big Dawg in that conference by far.
4. WINNING is all that matters in this world. Nobody cares about 2nd place. If you don't have audacity to settle for anything than being the best, then there's something wrong with you.
5. I live in Columbia, SC and a lot fans of SC are ready to annoint them as a college football power. There are idiotic fans in all fanbases, but 2 years of success does not mean a damn thing. Haven't even won a conference title.
6. I think that if you're a true fan of the University then you are a part of that family. The fanbase is a part of the University's family and main source of revenue.
7. Yes....a lot of the SC fans come off like MSU fans.
Congrats on your Outback Bowl win and recent success. Hope it continues for y'all.
This is possibly the most passive-aggressive piece of bullshit that I've seen in a long time. If you have a problem with Moon, talk with Moon.
1. It was the hit of the year. The fact that Clowney was unblocked because Lewan was pulling to the right doesn't change that.
2. No, things cycle and even Alabama will someday come back to earth. Players and coaches make the team better, fans don't, but 113,000 fans all yelling in unison does make it more fun.
3. Based on performances at the end of the year Bama is by far the best in the SEC, however the best NC game might have been Bama and TAM. There are a couple other very good SEC teams and a couple good ones and then some that are not so much.
4. No. I like many others will watch good football regardless of the past.
5. No. This question is pretty dumb. No one speaks for me and I speak for no one...but I'm still a Michigan fan.
6. If feel a kinship with Michigan fans regardless of whether they attended the school or not. People have a right to say whatever they want...especially if it makes them happy. All USCe has to do to stop Bama fan trash talk is for their team to beat Bama consistently.
7. Doubt it. They are the Outback Bowl champions for Christ sake and were the fourth or fitfth best team in the SEC. Having lived in both South Carolina and Michigan I know in both places there is no collective mindset.
P.S. Moon appears to be a pretty astute guy, but he, like me, isn't always right. He speaks for himself and hasn't yet been elected the official spokesperson for anyone other than himself that I know of. My guess is he'd agree with this.
1. Good play with excellent timing
2. Wishful thinking? Yes. But realisticAlly, no.
3. Bama by far and away is the best. There are other SEC teams that are deservingly top 10 (USC, Georgia, LSU).
4. No. Look at recent crazes over Johnny Football, Clowney, or RGIII
6. Undecided. I don't think it particularly matters, though. A fan is a fan.
7. Don't care enough to look into it. It's a good win against a stories program which should feel good. No way should USC fans crown themselves national champions. Beat Bama, then you can do that.
Rico gets it. And Thank you to anyone that was mildy backing me up.
Actually, he is the only Michigan fan that I know and I want to get a feel for the fanbase's opinion as a whole, because, if I'm being honest here, I think that Moon is somewhat off his rocker and not truly representative of most Michigan fans. I have already taken it up with Moon- we hold no punches. I am looking for other persectives. Thanks though, guy!
We hold no punches? Not yet anyway. You're getting close.... I consider all these Michigan fans my family so you better watch it.
Thanks Bro...send money.
ACC has their Bama. It's FSU. Media darling, elite recruiting, dominant history. Difference is they don't know how to seal the deal.
You honestly think that if Bama moved to the ACC, that it would look the same as the SEC? That just seems absurd to me. Every game other than maybe 2 a year for them would be scores like 65-0. Have you seen what ACC teams look like? I'm sorry, but that league is far worse than the SEC from top to bottom.
So says Clemson to LSU and Louisville to Florida
The ACC sucks.
I don't expect to go undefeated or win NC's every year because fact is Michigan has been good but not that good in my lifetime. Over the Bo era very close but usually didn't win the big game and the Carr and beyond era's has produced mostly 8-9 win seasons with losses in most big games. I'd be a miserable person if my expectations were too high. I do think we are headed in the right direction. A simple formula here is to recruit the beef and we are doing just that. The skill players all look better when there is time to throw and holes to run through. An O line can make an average back look like a worldbeater.
I clearly think Alabama is heads and shoulders above the rest of the sec. They are the most balanced team. We were no mach for Bama but against USC it was a game and we were able to take it up the middle. Bama reminds me of some of the USC teams Pete Carol coached. It's great that OSU was not elgible because either OSU or ND would have truly been the nation's best team. USC had a few years where I thought that of them yet the BCS managed to elude them a chance to prove it.
I get annoyed when they call Bama's defense an SEC defense. Most of the SEC does not have a BAMA defense. I think LSU could be considered in that group but I don't believe the rest are at that level even though they do have some NFL caliber players like Clowney. Florida does not have a Bama caliber defense either as they were torched by UofL.
What makes Bama superior to the rest of the SEC is how big and physical they are. Not only are they fast but also big and physical. A&M caught Bama off guard early and racked up some early points before Bama shut them down. In a rematch I'd easily pick Bama.
I've been watching Michigan football for many years and this Michigan team was a below average Michigan team. It's a win over Michigan but coming off 3-9, 5-7, 7-6, 11-2, we have a skeleton of the talent we had in the 90's. The RR era produced either 5 star bust or three star recruits. Few of them have panned out into anything special other than Jake Ryan. If this Michigan team had any secondary of the 90's or 2000-2007 Michigan would have won the game over USC. A lack of athleticism, speed, and brains allowed USC to throw deep bombs at will and complete them. The winning score would have either been knocked down or intercepted with a competent secondary. The bottom line is we aren't a very good team. It'd be better to celebrate a win over next years team or the year after when they have some talent in those areas.
GTFO of here with your facts.
Not going to lie, I see this entire thread as a desperate South Carolina fan clutching at straws to try to justify their own self-held view that they're better than they actually are.
Frankly, the only takeaway from this game was that either Michigan is better than they've been given credit for, or South Carolina is worse. The B1G in general gets no respect in bowl season, but we ran neck-and-neck with a top-10 team that went 10-2 in the SEC.
facts? lol go pull up the SEC's record vs OOC opponents. Those are your facts. That is cherry picking a few games that happened this year.
good point bro...like where your head is at. I'm still upset that I lost, but many people thought the game would be easily won by SC. Not the case. Excited for our future.
Please elaborate... because I already explained exactly what this thread was and I don't understand where you get this idea.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports