In partnership with CBSSports.com
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
That's what I was asking
McGary has a ways to go.
Why no Horford?
He played some. His injury must still be pretty bad.
Wondering the same thing
Questionable shots by burke tonight
Why the hell would Burke foul there?
Bad game from Trey tonight. THJR and GR3 saved our bacon (along with the adjustment to the 1-3-1).
Phenomenal beat Ohio chant from The Garden
hard fought win
Pitt looks to be a great team this year.
Stealing Sparty's recruits and owning them on the field since 1898
My thoughts on Michigan - Pittsburgh game in Madison Square Garden:
- Coming in, I knew that Pittsburgh would play a physical brand of basketball. Hence, Michigan would not be able to blow them out.
- I liked the balance on offense. We had 4 guys with 13+ points.
- Burke is dominating the ball too much and taking bad shots. On certain possessions, neither Hardaway Jr. nor Robinson III even got to touch the ball. That's unacceptable. I'm surprised that Coach Beilein didn't take Burke out of the game and give him an earful.
- McGary plays with fantastic enthusiasm. However, his skill does not match his energy.
- Stauskas is an efficient scorer that is more than just a spot-up shooter. Even the shots he missed were good shots. And when he lets the ball go, it looks like it's going in.
- I didn't like that our bigs didn't get more touches. Morgan deserves better. I noticed that Burke looked off Morgan on the pick and roll multiple times.
- We shot really well from the floor (47%) against a physical team and from the FT line (18-22 for 82%).
- It's a testament to how far the program has come under Coach Beilein when we shoot 17.6% (3-17) from beyond the arc and still win this gamy by 5. In years past, we would have needed a strong shooting night from 3 to beat a physical team like Pitt.
* * * N E O . R E T R O * * *
I wouldn't say great, but definitely top 25.
This is Michigan, fergodsakes.
I normally don't care if someone downvotes me but it's ridiculous that I got downvoted for this status.
I got you. Beating Pitt on a neutral court should be a quality win on our resume come tourney-time.
This post was edited by MaizeKC 20 months ago
Hey Frank .. I just wanted to add to your post considering I pretty much agree with everything you said.
Re: Burke .. you're 100% dead on. I'm not really sure where his head was this game. There were 3-4 times off the pick and rll that either Morgan or McGary were wide open and he chose to keep it.. only to take 3-4 more dribbles and then set the offense back up. Also .. taking two separate 30 footers with the shot clock running down is one thing .. but I dont consider 5 seconds left on the clock 'desperation heave time' .. that's more than enough time to get to the rim or penetrate and find one of your wings. We need Burke to conserve his energy during the game and get his wings/bigs more involved.. and then in crunch time .. if the team needs him .. he can take over. That would be my ideal situation for Trey. I hope this game was just a blip.
Re: McGary .. I agree with you to an extent. I've got a feeling that he's still nowhere NEAR in shape. Remember .. he's been hurt for a good amount of time. (Foot I believe) It's gonna take him at least until B1G season to get in the right condition. You can tell that he can only go fo 3-4 minute spurts.
Overall .. nice, quality win.
Nice post Frank. +1
I absolutely agree with you about Burke and it wasn't only this game that he has done this. Burke has played this way a lot this year.
McGary is still raw offensively but i have seen flashes of his talent. I think he will get there at some point and be a major contributor for Michigan.
Burke dominated the ball in the offense all last year as well because we needed him to. Its just an adjustment he's gonna have to make now that he has a lot more help around him. It's always tough for a freshman to come back after a great season because there's a lot of expectations they think they have to meet and start pressing on the floor instead of just sticking to what got them there. Exactly what happened to Tim last year.
Team looks great hopefully they will be able to control the pace of the game this afternoon
Somebody please clear this up for me. Both ESPN.com and MGoBlue say the game is at 4:30 but ESPN (the channel) shows the game is on at 5pm. What time does the game start?
Can we beat NC State without Hardaway?
Can they, yes. It makes it an uphill battle though.
Hopefully, Hardaway Jr. will be back by the NC State game and contribute.
But I saw a really cool stat: Michigan is #1 in the nation on points per shot (PPS). That's a strong indicator of the team's offensive efficiency.
Wow, was shocked to see this score today:
(2-4, 0-4 away)
(15) Michigan St 63
(5-1, 4-0 home)
Sure seems like Sparty's 5-1 record is misleading with a 3 point win against Kansas, a 4 point win against Boise State, and a 3 point win against LA-Lafayette.
They are overrated even though they don't have Gary Harris.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports