In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 336
Online now 403 Record: 7264 (3/12/2012)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
2 favorite RB behind Fournette.
ND was in it too. Funny you said that because someone on our board said the same thing about his dad, only it was he was ND fan. I asked him if he knew the kids dad, waiting on response.
Work was slow earlier and 2013 is getting pretty boring to me so I wanted to look at 2014. Below is a recruiting class I would like to see. It is part realistic best guess and part optimism. You can tell me there's still a year ahead and DaShawn Hand is a slim chance etc. etc. - I know.
As far as I know, we have 84 scholarships and 15 guys leaving next year for a total of 16. I added 4 because that's my guess for additional attrition and non-renewed 5th year guys. Correct me if I'm wrong but 20 isn't a crazy number anyway.
1. QB: Cornwell - I really enjoy watching him throw. Someone said Ben Rothlisberger in the way he moves and is tough to bring down. I agree.
2. RB: M. Horton or J. Mixon - I like both of them, Hilliman 3rd. Honestly, I really like Smith and Green (knock on wood) from 2013 and am pumped for D. Harris in 2015 so I'm not too concerned here.
3. WR: C. Holmes - Looks really smooth in his moves, good size and great hands
4. WR: A. Scott - Fast and quick.
4 1/2 WR: D. Harris - I have no idea where he goes but if he wants to come here, the coaches won't say no. I obviously hope he comes to Michigan.
5. TE: ? J. Van Dort? I Don't know who to put here. I like Nik Weishar but think he goes to ND. Coaches visited Luatua but that's a pipedream. I'd put Mark Andrews here but he wants to play WR. Maybe we can sell him the Funchess role.
6. OT: D. Ward - Hope he stays because he could be a monster
7. OT: A. Bars - Best of the Bars
8. OG/OT: T. Doles - Think he picks us. Sounds like a lighter version of R. Pierschbacher (sp?) to me - short arms but otherwise great prospect.
9. OG/OC: M. Cole - Crossing my fingers for him and Scott.
10. OG: S. Mustipher - Seems like a high floor kind of player and has like a 5.0 gpa.
11. SDE: D. Hand - I'm drinking the koolaid that this guy really means it when he says he cares about engineering and that our staff is his favorite. I know it's a longshot but I choose to believe
12. SDE/DT: M. McDowell - Also drinking koolaid but know we have a much better shot.
13. DT/NT: B. Mone - I think he has a higher ceiling than either of the first two guys on the DL and that is saying something. His weight is so evenly distributed that he looks like he could play at 335 no problem.
14. WDE: L. Marshall - Also think he's underrated. Maybe I'm just being a crazy person about how good I think our dline class can be.
15. SLB: K. Berger - I don't really know, but sure.
16. MLB: M. Ferns - Excited for him but he committed so long ago and seems firmly committed so he's not as much fun to talk about. That is a compliment.
17. WLB: ?
18. S: M. Nicholson - I don't know much about our safety prospects for 2014 but this is one I know and he looks good.
19. CB: P. Westphall - If we get him, it makes me feel much better about losing Webb
20. CB: ? The CB rankings are all over the place right now. The coaches have found Conley, Stribling, and J. Clark as under the radar guys the past 2 years and we're kinda in on some big names like Peppers and Watkins. Not sure.
That's 20 with the two question marks (21 with Drake Harris). I'd also be down for a 2nd QB. I'm not predicting here, just a combo of guessing and wishing. I'd be happy with our class if I'm 50-60% correct.
This post has been edited 3 times, most recently by hardware_sushi 15 months ago
Good work. Very realistic 50%+ of this list is in our class. Cornwell, Westphall, Ferns, Mone, McDowell, Marshall, Doles, Ward, Bars, Holmes, one of Cole or Mustipher all seem to have us at the top. Will be an awesome class.
I expect top 5 classes every year now
"Those Who Stay...Will be Champions"
Would get rid of Van Dort and put Kyle Rachwel in that spot. Other than than can't complain maybe we only take two LBs this year.
A couple of things.
1. Good job, I like your list, and that would be a great class.
2. I don't think we take more than 4 OL.
3. If I were the coaches I'd put the full court press on Drake Harris, he might have been the best player in the state as a Junior.
Very impressive. Great work. Thanks.
We're in on so many LB's this year I feel like they may take 3. Definitely think they take 2 TE also. Other then that I will be thrilled with the class you said.
I think I agree about 4 OL. 16 in 3 years is quite a bit, it just seems like we're in on so many good prospects that it was tough to get to 5, let alone 4.
If Michigan had 4 OL, I would replace that spot with a 2nd QB like Kizer or Weigers. I think Kizer goes to Louisville.
I think the class should look something like this from a position standpoint:
I haven't run the numbers myself but everyone seems to agree this class should be 18-20. The smaller numbers I gave get us to 20, so any extras I guess would have to come from additional attrition.
I think it's a stretch to really know what's "realistic" more than a year out from NSD, so I'll just go with best-case-scenario, wild optimism thing (plus that's just more fun):
QB: David Cornwell and Andrew Ford
RB: Elijah Hood
WR: Jamil Kamara Artavis Scott (Corey Holmes)
TE: Tyler Luatua
OT: Denzel Ward, Bentley Spain, Jamarco Jones
OG: Braden Smith, Mason Cole
DE: Da'Shawn Hand, Malik McDowell
DT: Bryan Mone, Dexter Wideman
LB: Michael Ferns, Clifton Garrett
DB: Parrker Westphal, Jabrill Peppers, Quin Blanding
Obv that class is out in la la land, but like Kevin Garnett, ANYTHING IS POSSIBBBBBLLLLEEEEE
Yeah, FWIW, Van Dort said the coaches were recruiting him as an OT, not a TE.
I'll take a shot at this. I'll base my class off of a 20 man class.
QB (1) David Cornwell Has a big time arm and he's definetly not a statue back there in the pocket would fit perfect in Borges west coast offense.
RB (1) Joe Mixon This guy seems like a playmaker has great speed and can catch the ball out of the back field I really hope he leaves the west coast don't know how likely it is though? Or another good option would be Hillman another great all around back with really good speed.
WR (2-3) Artavious Scott this is a guy we really need who can stretch the field although he is kind of small and would open up the run game for Derrrick Green and DeVeon Smith. Corey Holmes another great reciever who has very good speed and comes from a great HS program. Derek Kief good reciever with a great combo of size (6"5) and good speed could be a mismatch for smaller corners.
TE(1) Nic Weishar I don't think he's a ND lock like most I believe he has family at U of M. He has good size he would have to put on a little weight to be effective at the college level.
OL (4) Alex Bars He is the best of the brothers, it's a good thing he has a brother at U of M so he has been to campus a lot. Mason Cole think he is a great prospect also he is versatile enough to play either tackle or guard. Tommy Doles is a under the radar kid somehow he doesn't have many offers, but I think he's a really good prospect probably a center in college. .
Sam Mustipher a great OL from Good Counsel another kid who could play mutliple positions on the line
DT(2) Bryan Mone Big time prospect I think he has the potential to end up a 5 star if he gets out to some camps this summer. Daniel Cage could be a excellent combo with Mone.
DE(2) Malik McDowell He's a monster for a defensive end would be a load to handle for big ten tackles. Garrett Dickerson kid is an animal could play either TE or DE, I think he's a better DE has good size and speed off the edge.
LB(3) Ferns is a great prospect who can really fly to the ball something we have been missing at LB. Brandon Lee another good sized LB with good athleticism. Melvin Keihn from Good Counsel.
DB-S(3) Westphal has great size for the positon and he will help in run support, would make the Webb loss sting a little less.
Nicholson good saftey prospect who can cover a lot of range would really go well with Dymonte Thomas. Jabrill Peppers a complete baller he may be #1 on my wishlist for the 14 class.
Mark (mgobluegr) knows his circle pretty well. His dad is definitely a Michigan fan; MLive even mentioned it in his commitment article.
Harris' father was a Michigan football fan, but Drake still chose the Spartans despite an offer from Wolverines coach Brady Hoke.
So many offers left to go out I'll wait to post my class but so far people are thinking along similar lines
Do they go to the same high school? Or am I misremembering something? Probably the latter.
I agree. I think after NSD would be the appropriate time to start best guess. I do agree that what has been said is similar to my thinking. I like Maurice ways in this class though.
Michigan is still the leader for Bryan Mone, and he plans on making his decision around his senior year.
11 National Titles | 42 Conference Titles | 3 Heisman Winners | 78 All-Americans | 37 College Hall of Fame Members
“Those who stay will be champions”
― Bo Schembechler
I'm actually hoping that Michigan will take at least 4 WRs (which will undoubtedly seem excessive to some) and 2 TEs.
- Artavis Scott
- Maurice Ways
- Derek Kief
- Drake Harris (hopefully)
- Ian Bunting
- Garrett Dickerson (probably as an ATH since he also doubles as an excellent DE)
- Daniel Helm
* * * N E O . R E T R O * * *
When you say that, do you mean before his senior season? After? Senior year is a long time
Hard to argue the number of WRs. We need help.
Not sure, that's just what Bryan was quoted with saying.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports